Monday, September 12, 2011

Rate Your Relationship With the Boss

Does dealing with your boss cause knots in your stomach? Do your co-workers seem to have an easy time of asking for, and getting, what they want? Do you hesitate to approach your boss for what you want because you're unsure of his/her reaction?
Your boss determines much of your happiness at work, if not all of your satisfaction. Wouldn't it be helpful to know how strong your relationship is with your boss?

This quiz will help you rate your relationship with your boss. Check each answer you agree with. Each checked answer counts as one point.

I know the best time of the day to approach my boss with a question or request.
I can almost always read my boss’s mood and thus avoid inopportune times.
I have successfully negotiated with my boss in the last year (for time off, a raise, project ownership, etc.).
My boss takes an interest in my career growth: s/he has approved a seminar or additional learning.
I learn from my boss, s/he shares information and expertise.
I respect my boss; s/he has integrity.
I don't dread spending time with my boss, we can laugh together.
My boss shares his/her vision for the department/staff.
My boss values my ideas and suggestions.
I know where I stand with my boss.
My boss is a good leader; s/he walks the talk.
I get timely answers to my questions from my boss.
I receive sufficient direction from my boss.
My boss provides opportunities that challenge and stretch me.
I receive written and timely performance appraisals that my boss reviews with me.
I have discussed my future career goals with my boss.
My boss doesn't take all the credit for my work.
My boss listens when I speak.
My boss seeks and respects my opinion and ideas.
I know my boss’s preferred communication style.
I am a trusted member of my boss’s team.
I am treated with respect by my boss.
I don't dread meetings with my boss.
When I mess up, I quickly inform my boss and take responsibility for the mistake.
I am competitively rewarded (base salary, bonus) for my work.
20-25:  Congratulations! Your relationship with your boss is great! Talk to your boss about contributing at an even higher level.

16-20:  This is a very good score. Speak with your boss about how you could advance your boss’s agenda and what additional challenges you might undertake.

11-15:  Your relationship with your boss is OK, but there’s room for improvement. Learn how to improve your communication skills with your boss by watching what successful colleagues do.

6-10:  You have work to do. Select one or two areas to focus on and ask your boss how you might improve.

0-5:  OK, nobody’s perfect. But there’s help at hand. Working with a career coach could help you define what kind of changes you could make immediately and also help you establish a long-range plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment